Macromolecule Lesson Plans
Organic compounds & molecular biology lesson plans designed for high school and middle school science teachers are downloadable here. Click the titles below to see a list of lessons for each category. Free macromolecule lesson plans include:
- Polypeptides - 20 different amino acids, peptide bonds.
- Amino Acids - amino group, carboxyl group, side groups.
- Shape - folding chains of amino acids, hydrogen bonds, shape determines function, primary, secondary, plated sheet, alpha helix, tertiary, quaternary structures.
- Functions - enzymes, structure, movement, energy source, transport, immunity.
- Food Types - dairy, eggs, fish, grains, legumes, meat, nuts, poultry, seeds, vegetables.
- Carbohydrates - monosaccharides, disaccharides, polysaccharides.
- Monosaccharides - glucose sugar, fructose.
- Disaccharides - sucrose sugar, lactose, maltose.
- Polysaccharides - starch, glycogen, cellulose.
- Food Types - sugar, breads, cereal, fruits, milk, pasta, vegetables.
- Fiber Types - apple, baked potato, barley, bran cereal, dried beans, pear.
- Lipids - fats, lipoproteins, phospholipids, sterols, triglycerides.
- Lipoproteins - VLDL very low density lipoprotein, LDL low density lipoprotein, HDL high density lipoprotein.
- Phospholipids - lipid bilayer, 2 fatty acid tails, one glycerol, one phosphorus acid chain.
- Sterols - steroids, cholesterol.
- Triglycerides - saturated fatty acids, unsaturated fatty acids, monounsaturated fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, trans-fatty acids.
- Food Types - butter, cheese, meats, milk, nuts, oils.
- Saturated Fat Types - butter, coconut oil, lard, palm oil.
- Unsaturated Fat Types - avocados, Canola oil, fish, olive oil, sunflower oil.
- Cholesterol Types - eggs, dairy, fish, meats, poultry.
- Polymers - DNA, RNA.
- Nucleotides - hydrogen bonds, phosphate group, deoxyribose and ribose pentose sugars, nitrogen bases.
- Structure - double helix, mRNA, tRNA, rRNA.
- pH - common acids and bases.
- Acids - acidic solutions, common acids, hydrogen ions.
- Bases - alkaline solutions, common bases, hydroxide ions.
- Buffers - weak acid or base with its conjugate base or acid, keep pH constant.
- Organic molecules - monomers and polymers of macromolecules
- Inorganic molecules - water , carbon dioxide
- Dehydration synthesis - loss of an H2O molecule, making of polymers.
- Hydrolysis - addition of an H2O molecule, splitting of polymers into monomers.
- Atoms - protons, neutrons, electrons, orbital shells.
- Elements - periodic table, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen.
- Compounds - chemical bonds.
- Covalent Bonding - sharing of electrons.
- Ionic Bonding - gaining or losing electrons to form ions.
- H2O - hydrogen bonds, polarity of water, cohesion, adhesion.
Lesson Plans by Subject
Link to Us
A great biochemistry experiment is where students use common household acids and bases to test for pH. A dehydration synthesis activity lets students combine paper molecules and form water. Biochemistry projects include researching different proteins, their amino acid structure, and their functions. Molecular biology worksheets and exam / test / quiz questions also provide help with evaluating the student’s progress.