Biochemistry Lesson Plans
Molecular biology lesson plans designed for high school science teachers are downloadable here. Click the titles below to see a list of lessons for each category.
- Enzymes - substrate, reactants, products, active site, activation energy, shapes, types, factors affecting activity, feedback inhibition.
- ATP Synthase - energy source, phosphates, light wavelengths, concentration gradients, diffusion, equilibrium, thermodynamics, exergonic, endergonic.
Macromolecules Lesson Plans
- Dehydration synthesis - loss of an H2O molecule, making of polymers.
- Hydrolysis - addition of an H2O molecule, splitting of polymers into monomers.
- Carbohydrates - monosaccharides, disaccharides, polysaccharides.
- Categories - glycogen, fiber, starch, sugars.
- Food Types - breads, cereal, fruits, milk, pasta, vegetables.
- Fiber Types - apple, baked potato, barley, bran cereal, dried beans, pear.
- Polypeptides - 20 different amino acids, peptide bonds.
- Amino Acids- amino group, carboxyl group, side groups.
- Shape - folding chains of amino acids, shape determines function.
- Functions - enzymes, structure, movement, energy source, transport, immunity.
- Food Types - dairy, eggs, fish, grains, legumes, meat, nuts, poultry, seeds, vegetables.
- Lipids - fats, lipoproteins, phospholipids, sterols, triglycerides.
- Lipoproteins - VLDL very low density lipoprotein, LDL low density lipoprotein, HDL high density lipoprotein.
- Phospholipids - lipid bilayer, 2 fatty acid tails, one glycerol, one phosphorus acid chain.
- Sterols - steroids, cholesterol.
- Triglycerides - saturated fatty acids, unsaturated fatty acids, monounsaturated fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, trans-fatty acids.
- Food Types - butter, cheese, meats, milk, nuts, oils.
- Saturated Fat Types - butter, coconut oil, lard, palm oil.
- Unsaturated Fat Types - avocados, Canola oil, fish, olive oil, sunflower oil.
- Cholesterol Types - eggs, dairy, fish, meats, poultry.
- Polymers - DNA, RNA.
- Nucleotides - hydrogen bonds, phosphate group, deoxyribose and ribose pentose sugars, nitrogen bases.
- pH - common acids and bases.
- Acids - acidic solutions, common acids, hydrogen ions.
- Bases - alkaline solutions, common bases, hydroxide ions.
Water Lesson Plans
- H2O - hydrogen bonds, polarity of water, cohesion, adhesion.
Chemistry Basics Lesson Plans
- Atoms - protons, neutrons, electrons, orbital shells.
- Elements - periodic table, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen.
- Compounds - chemical bonds.
- Covalent Bonding - sharing of electrons.
- Ionic Bonding - gaining or losing electrons to form ions.
Become a Member
Would you like to become an active member of Lesson Plans Inc? You first need to register for free. Members can publish their own lessons, teacher best practices, and interact with lessons in more detail. All you need is an active email account to register. We do not sell email addresses.
Lesson Plans by Subject
Link to Us
Enzyme lab using catalase lets students see how enzymes brake down substances. Another great biochemistry experiment is for students to use common household acids and bases and test for pH. A dehydration synthesis activity lets students combine paper molecules and form water. Biochemistry projects include researching different proteins, their amino acid structure, and their functions. Molecular biology worksheets and exam / test / quiz questions also provide help with evaluating the student’s progress.