Genetics Lesson Plans
Genetics lesson plans designed for high school, middle school, and elementary school science teachers are downloadable here. Lesson Plans Inc. offers many great science lessons. Click the titles below to see a list of lessons for each category. Free genetics and meiosis lesson plans include:
- Classical Genetics - Gregor Mendel, inheritance, heredity of traits, pea plants experiments.
- Punnett Squares - genotype, phenotype, genotypic ratios, phenotypic ratios
- Monohybrid cross punnett squares - genetic probability with a single trait.
- Dihybird cross punnett squares - genetic probability with two traits.
- Advanced punnett squares - incomplete dominance, pleiotropy, autosomal traits, sex-linked traits.
- Mendel's law of dominance - dominant, recesive, carrier of a trait, dominant allele, recessive allele.
- Law of Segregation - Gene, allele, homozygous, heterozygous, gametes.
- Law of Independent Assortment - multi-trait crosses, 9:3:3:1 ratio, chromosomes assort independently.
- Genetic Disorders - cystic fibrosis, albinism (albino), neurofibromatosis, sickle-cell anemia, hemophilia A, color blindness.
- Gametes - sperm, egg, ovum, gonads.
- Pedigrees - autosomal and sex-linked.
- Chromosome - histones, nucleosomes, chromatin, coils, supercoils, chromatid, centromere, homologous chromosomes, autosomes, XY and XX sex chromosomes.
- Genetic Varaition - sexual reproduction vs. asexual reproducation, crossing over, law of segregation, mutation
- Animal Chromosome Numbers - human = 46, gorilla - chimpanzee - orangutan = 48, dog = 78, housefly = 12, mosquito = 6.
- Plant Chromosome Numbers - pea plant = 14, rye - 14, corn - 20, wheat bread - 42.
- Meiosis - homologous chromosomes, gametes, polyploid, diploid, haploid, gonads, sperm, egg, zygote.
- Karyotype - prenatal testing, amniocentesis, cvs, error in chromosome numbers, aneuploidy, monosomy.
Lesson Plans by Subject
Link to Us
Genetic Lesson Concepts
The Punnett square worksheets lets students practice the probability of inheritance. Mendel pea plant worksheets help students learn the history of genetics, the vocabulary of genetics and introduced to the probabilities of genetics. Genetic exam / test / quiz questions also provide help with evaluating the student's progress.