DNA, RNA Lesson Plans
Genetics lesson plans designed for high school, middle school, and elementary school science teachers are downloadable here. Lesson Plans Inc. offers many great science lessons. Click the titles below to see a list of lessons for each category.
- Classical Genetics - Gregor Mendel, inheritance, pea plants experiments.
- Law of Segregation - Gene, allele, monohybrid cross, dihybird cross, homozygous, heterozygous, dominant allele, recessive allele, gametes.
- Law of Independent Assortment - multi-trait crosses, 9:3:3:1 ratio, chromosomes assort independently.
- Punnett Squares - genotype, phenotype, incomplete dominance, pleiotropy, autosomal traits, sex-linked traits.
- Genetic Disorders - cystic fibrosis, albinism (albino), neurofibromatosis, sickle-cell anemia, hemophilia A, color blindness.
- Gametes - sperm, egg, ovum, gonads.
- Shape - double helix, 5' OH group and 3' phosphate group.
- DNA Nucleotide - deoxyribose sugar, phosphate group, dna nitrogen base, hydrogen bonds.
- DNA Nitrogen Bases - adenine, thiamine, guanine, cytosine, purines, pyrimidines.
- RNA Nucleotide - ribose sugar, phosphate group, rna nitrogen bases.
- RNA Nitrogen Bases - adenine, uracil, guanine, cytosine.
- Semi-Conservative Replication - complementarity, leading strand, lagging strand, replication fork, 5' to 3'.
- DNA Replication Enzymes - DNA helicase, DNA polymerase, Okazaki fragments, DNA ligase.
- Central Dogma - gene expression follows a specific order.
- Transcription - RNA polymerase, initiation, elongation, termination, promoter regions, introns, exons, codons, mRNA, transcribe template strand.
- Translation - ribosome (rRNA and protein), anticodons, tRNA, initiation, elongation, termination, A-site, P-site, amino acids, polypeptide chain, start codon, stop codon.
- Chromosome - histones, nucleosomes, chromatin, coils, supercoils, chromatid, centromere, homologous chromosomes, autosomes, XY and XX sex chromosomes.
- Animal Chromosome Numbers - human = 46, gorilla - chimpanzee - orangutan = 48, dog = 78, housefly = 12, mosquito = 6.
- Plant Chromosome Numbers - pea plant = 14, rye - 14, corn - 20, wheat bread - 42.
- Meiosis - homologous chromosomes, gametes, polyploid, diploid, haploid, gonads, sperm, egg, zygote.
- Karyotype - prenatal testing, amniocentesis, cvs, error in chromosome numbers, aneuploidy, monosomy.
- Gene Mutations - point mutations, base-pair substitution, silent mutations, transition mutation, transversion mutations, missense mutations, nonsense mutations, frameshift mutations, insertion, deletion, revertant.
- Chromosomal Mutations - deletion, duplication, inversion, translocation.
- Genetic Disorders - nondisjunction, down syndrome or trisomy 21, trisomy X or XXX syndrome, Klinefelter's syndrome or XXY , Edwards Syndrome or trisomy 13.
- Prokaryotes - operon, promoter, operator, repressor protein, lac operon.
- Negative Gene Regulation - repressible operons, corepressors, inducible operons, inducer.
- Positive Gene Regulation - activator, allosteric site.
- Eukaryotes - modify chromatin, control elements, steroid hormones, regulatory proteins, TATA box, gene dosage, gene amplification.
- Recombinant DNA - plasmids, bacterial DNA, cloning vector, restriction enzymes, screening, gene cloning, DNA ligase, electroporation, bacterial culture growth.
- PCR - polymerase chain reactions, synthetic oligonucleotide primers, pcr amplification, in vitro, heating, cooling, DNA polymerase, reheating.
- GEL Electrophoresis - restriction enzymes, polar DNA, DNA fragments, DNA ladder, agarose gel, lane, band.
- Southern Blot - DNA fragments, gel electrophoresis, probe.
- Northern blot - identify RNA fragments.
- Western blot - identify proteins.
- Transgenic Bacteria - foreign DNA, insulin, growth hormone, clotting factors.
- Transgenic Animals - growth hormone genes, resistance to bacterial infections, proteins.
- Transgenic Plants - 52% soy and 25% corn are transgenic in US, genetically modified food, natural insecticdes, resist chemicals.
- Gene Cloning - Dolly, fuse mammary cells with egg cells without DNA, electric shock, in vitro, implanted into surrogate mother, gentically identical sheep.
- Human Genome Project - human nucleotide sequence, map genes on chromosomes,
Lesson Plans by Subject
Link to Us
DNA Lesson Concepts
The DNA extraction lab lets students extract DNA from either their cheek cells or strawberries. Another great DNA experiment is gel electrophoresis. An example DNA activity lets students build a giant double helix and then try to model super coiling. Another activity is about protein synthesis and how cell DNA, mRNA, rRNA, tRNA, and amino acids are used to make proteins. DNA projects include writing a DNA replication storybook for little kids. Genetic worksheets and exam / test / quiz questions also provide help with evaluating the student's progress.